Monday, November 16, 2009

Drawings without Paper

This assignment was to interpret and recreate a drawing using different materials. For my two drawings, I used copper wire and plaster. The wire proved to be the easiest to work with and was the easiest to understand. I started off with a very simple sculpture of a section and added depth to the drawing by moving things forward or backward in space depending on their location in the plan.


This is the first wire sculpture I made and I believe it is the most successful. It captures the simplicity of the folds, creates depth, and is very straightforward.



This is the second wire sculpture. When I made this, I was thinking about my building as a series of strips that are folded independently of one another. This idea translated into the drawing being made as a series of two dimensional sections that were stacked together to create depth and represent the drawing.




This was the final wire sculpture. My conception of the building had changed a little bit since the first two sculptures. After some thinking and some sketching, I thought of my building as being formed from one continuous surface that was folded and cut and created both the exterior and the interior. I don't feel that this is as successful as my first sculpture because I tried to represent the drawing too literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment